Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

I have a zucchini bread that I have been using for quite some time and it is great!  I wondered if I could alter it to make easier single servings. aka: muffins. 

Here is the recipe for the bread:

Zucchini bread

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted (I again use chocolate chips because I love chocolate)


Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and 12 inch up sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.

In another medium bowl combine egg, sugar, shredded zucchini, and oil. Add zucchini mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  I put foil on the top for the last 10-15 minutes to keep the top from getting too dark. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.

And here is what I did to make muffins:

 I quadrupled the recipe (then used 2 tbs cinnamon instead of 4 tsp) and filled muffin cups 3/4 full baked at 400° for 18 minutes. They are awesome. Not fluffy like a blueberry muffin, but more dense.

No comments: