Tuesday, August 2, 2011

chocolate chip zucchini cookies (because we all need a little something sweet now and then)

I made chocolate chip zucchini cookies and they were so good. I got the recipe from here, but altered it a bit. Note: these are more of a soft cookie than a hard cookie.
I used butter instead of margarine, unbleached vs bleached flour, and chocolate chips instead of raisins.

These versus Chips Ahoy turn out to be a much better value and are healthier in most areas. They also, in my families opinion, taste better. This is a cheap cookie that can be  made and frozen. I tripled the recipe and froze 2 portions. I do this because it is so much easier to buy a package of cookies than to have to get all the ingredients out and bake them from scratch. So I baked a whole bunch and when I want cookies, I will take how many I want/need out, defrost, and enjoy.

Cost:

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies- Total= $1.83
                                                      per cookie=.05
Chips Ahoy- Total= $3.69
                     per cookie= .28

Huge difference! 67% savings!

Nutrition per serving (because I am suppose to be frugal and healthy):

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies-
     89.6 calories
     3.84g fat
       - 2.94g saturated fat
     13.34g carbs
     .5g fiber
     1.24g protein
     70mg sodium

Chips Ahoy-
     160 calories
     8g fat
      - 2.5g saturated fat
     21g carbs
     1g fiber
     2g protein
     105mg sodium


    
    *Acknowledgement
        For my bff who stood up twice, stubbed her toe, and consumed chocolate chips just so I could know how many servings I used in this recipe. Thanks, Brie!

No comments: