Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Monday Meals

The weekdays meals are going to be a bit different now. I am going to add what I send in my girls' lunch boxes. This will be a challenge for myself to find healthy foods for my picky eater to eat.

Lunch:
At home- turkey sandwich, carrots, strawberries

School- pb & j, mash up, greek yogurt with honey (their favorite way to eat yogurt), and a zucchini cookie

My downfall to pb & j is that it really isn't that healthy. I buy Jif Natural (because it tastes better, I think) and Fit & Active Strawberry Fruit Spread from Aldi. It does have 8g of sugar, but no high fructose corn syrup and no dye.  I am not sure how much sugar is too much. I have searched and searched and it seems nobody (in cyber world) really knows. It always just says  "eat in moderation".  Smuckers strawberry jelly has 12 g of sugar and Welch's has 13g of sugar, so I think 8g is doing pretty good.
As far as peanut butter, I figure unless the only ingredient is peanuts then it probably isn't that great. Jif Natural  contains 90% peanuts. The other 10% not so great. So after reading this I learned about Krema peanut butter. It has 100% peanuts !  Now how much is this 100% peanuts peanut butter going to cost me and where do I find it. I spend $3.18 for a 28 oz jar of Jif Natural. The Krema is $3.59 for 16 oz. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but we eat a lot of peanut butter. That is 11¢ per oz vs 22¢ per oz! So now I have to make the decision of whether the cost is worth the healthier product. Some would say "yes, absolutely!" but I have to watch my budget.  As far as where to find it, there is no location finder on the website, but some of the comments on the snack girl blog said they found it at Walmart. Maybe I will give it a whirl. I let you know how it turns out.


Dinner- Breakfast for Dinner!!!! Waffles, Ham steak, eggs, and apples.

I make my waffles from scratch and I (almost) always have those ingredients on hand. The ham steak was in my freezer from an earlier meal.

Here is the recipe for the waffles. I always do the buttermilk recipe. I use butter instead of oil. A quick and easy way to make buttermilk is to put 1Tbs lemon juice into a measuring cup and add milk till it is at one cup. The total amount of liquid is one cup.

2 comments:

Brie said...

Have you tried Skippy Natural? It's ingredients are Peanuts and Palm Oil which isn't so bad. As far as sugar goes, my opinion is, if the sugar came from fruit it doesn't equate the same.

Feeding My Family said...

Fruit sugar is good. I am talking about white granulated sugar, brown sugar, and all those fake sugars. On all the jars I looked at it said "sugar" in the ingredients. I am assuming that isn't fruit sugar.

Funny enough I looked at the Skippy Natural and the ingredients are the same except for the molasses. I have tried both and taste wise I like Jif. It has a more peanutty taste. I think we have had this convo before :)