Monday, August 15, 2011

Sunday Menu

Sunday was food wise, a little different. I mean that in we kinda forgot about lunch. We were crazy busy and nobody stopped to say "Hey, mom, I'm hungry", so we skipped it. Don't worry my kids didn't starve they had a snack one hour before dinner when they all realized they were famished. Dinner was great though. Since we didn't have lunch I went all out. The best part. The whole meal except for the fruit came from either the garden or freezer.

Dinner:  Asian Flank Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Veggies, and Fruit Salad

The Asian Flank Steak is one of my freezer meals and a favorite for Jim, Warren, and I. (I would say the girls, but they had peanut butter sandwiches).

This recipe comes from "Don't Panic, Dinners in the Freezer"
One great part about this is a Flank Steak is one of the cheaper cuts of meat, but because it marinade and is thinly sliced you can't tell. (let me know if you can't read the recipe and I will type it out.)





I freeze mashed potatoes. I buy a big 5 pound bag of potatoes. Jim peels them for me because he's awesome like that. I boil and mash them all and put them in several quart size freezer bags (a good size for my family). Now when I want mashed potatoes, I just get them out of the freezer, heat them in the microwave, and fluff them with a fork.

The roasted veggies was just random veggies that I had on hand from the garden. I used squash, zucchini, tomotoes, and green peppers. I sliced them and put them in a bowl. I added olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, thyme, and parsley. I don't have measurements as I just eye balled everything. To roast them, place aluminum foil on a shallow pan and add veggies. Make sure to not have anything on top of another because this will cause them to steam. Set oven to 400°, place pan in oven for 10 minutes, gently rotate and then cook for another ten minutes.

The fruit salad is what I do when I have have a small amount of several different types of fruit. We had bananas, stawberries,and blueberries.

2 comments:

Mom2TheseBoys said...

The flank steak sounds yummy. We'll have to try it. I have a recipe for turkey chili that my sister gave me that you should try. I'm making it today.

Feeding My Family said...

I would love the recipe. I would probably have to replace the turkey with chicken since my husband isn't a fan of turkey. We have a very cheap simple chicken chili recipe. I wonder if it the same?

I would love for you to post the recipe.